Sunday, December 28, 2014

My favorite movies of 2014

Here are 10 movies that I found inspiring and/or moving in one way or another. This is not a "best of" list, it is a personal list of movies that I enjoyed in the previous year, one in which I saw somewhere around 200 movies (not all new of course). I haven't seen every critically acclaimed movie (Interstellar, Birdman come to mind, among others). I enjoyed a couple of blockbusters (Edge of Tomorrow & the last X-men, for instance), though the list of my personal favs is mostly blockbuster free. Some movies I thought were really good (Nightcrawler & Locke, for example), but they didn't inspire me beyond a feeling of respect for them. Others, such as Frank and The Grand Budapest Hotel, I suppose I'm just not enough of a stereotypical hipster to enjoy. Anyhow, without further ado, and in no particular order...

1. Comet - one of my top three for 2014

2. These Final Hours - Australian end of days/ coming to terms with one's conscience type movie

3. Boyhood

4. Her - yeah, it came out in the last week of 2013, so it still counts

5. White Bird in a Blizzard - possibly Araki's best, good retro feel

6. Fury

7. Blue Ruin

8. Under the Skin - a sad poem with violent undertones

9. Noah - anyone who knows my position on animal rights will not be surprised to see this on here ;)

10. '71

...and I'm sure I've forgotten a couple. :) Anyway, if you agree with some of these, what can I say...

No comments:

Post a Comment